I compiled a list of my top 10 fashion photographers (past and present) that I would like to share who I have followed so much closely on social media and on their websites. They fuel my inspiration especially the present day photographers but it is so difficult for me to follow in their footsteps so I have always kept my niche. Since there are no other types I list below, I want to become the "one and only" photographer that people know me as. These photographers show so much strength and emotion and sensuality in their models along with the way they work the light and the fashion which is why their work is called "fashion photography". Steven Meisel is my favorite which I order from 10 to 1 as the best. Hope you all agree with what I think. Enjoy!
10. Helmut Newton - His strong, provocative black and white photos interest me most. I actually got the opportunity to meet the nude model he shot (Henriette Allais) at a convention and I got her autograph with that popular photo. She mentioned that image of hers sold for over $300,000 and she worked that photoshoot for $75 back in the day.
9. Richard Avedon - Loved his black and white fashion portraits. His late celebrity portraits didn't impress me much though. The late Avedon has an awesome iPad app with tons of his archive images for viewing pleasure from the 1940's to 2000. This is a definite must for any fashion photographer enthusiast to have in hand often.
8. Peter Lindbergh - His black and white work is so beautiful!!! Just check out his photo of Kate Moss and Natalia Vodianova below that he worked on. Just absolutely breathtakingly beautiful. He inspires me most with the way he takes photos of his women and how he emotes the models sensuality. Such beautiful work. I definitely recommend to check out his book, "Images of Women II - 2005-2014".
7. Ellen Von Unwerth - This beautiful photographer (did I mention she is also beautiful as well?) captured the erotic black and white images but was able to work her fashion into it which not a lot of photographers can do.
6. Javier Vallhonrat - the way he shoots his models sensuality is breathtaking and the way he uses his colors and light is crazy.
5. Steven Klein (@stevenkleinstudio)- this present day photographers work is as close to Helmut Newton. His Instagram work is just pure wacky and weird at times.
4. Solve Sundsbo - http://www.solvesundsbo.com/ - I love the way he works movement and emotion in his work.
3. Herb Ritts - I have to admit that this is the guy that inspired me to shoot women often. I have this photo on my wall in my room. :)
2. Vincent Peters - http://www.vincentpetersphotography.com/
I seem to love the sensuality he always brings out to his models. Just pure raw and erotic and just beautiful.
1. Steven Meisel - His work is "fashion photography". Plain and simple and just awesomely explosive. I just love his work. He is the present day, "Helmut Newton" photographer.
Check out a mixture of his work below I so much love:
There are obviously a ton more that I could think of (past and present) such as Ruven Afandor, Enrique Badulescu, Glen Luchford, Guy Bourdin, Dominique Isserman, Sarah Moon, Deborah Turbeville, Nick Knight and Patrick Demarchelier who I also admire and follow just as much but I'd just wanted to share my favorites. Check out their websites as well and let me know what you think!!